During the fifth edition we offered a unique film offer like as in no other year. Our programming was composed of challenge and diversity. 45 films were screened at the festival, more than 80% were premiered in Mexico. Except for the Tributes, the rest of the 2016 programming is result of national and international cinema.
The International Tribute was for the director, writer and producer, Oliver Stone, who won three Oscars: in 1979 by Midnight Express, in 1987 by Platoon, and in 1990 by Born on the Fourth of July. At the Festival were screened JFK (1991), Salvador (1986) and Snowden (2016), this one was premiered in Mexico.
The National Tribute was given to the renowned Mexican director of photography, Rodrigo Prieto, awarded five times with the Ariel of the Academia Mexicana de Artes y Ciencias Cinematográficas. In his career Prieto has distinguished himself by working whit film directors like Ang Lee, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Spike Lee, Pedro Almodóvar, among others.
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
The Italian actress Monica Bellucci received the Lifetime Achievement Award for her contribution to contemporary cinematography. We presented the Premier in Latin America of the film On the Milky Road (2016) as part of this homage.
BELLAS DE NOCHE (Mexico)
TAMARA Y LA CATARINA (Mexico)
DONALD CRIED (USA)
GABRIEL FIGUEROA FILM FUND WINNERS – Projects in development stage
1. Gabriel Figueroa Film Fund Award – Projects in Development Stage. Awarded to three film projects in the development stage with a grant of $150,000.00 MXN for each one:
- Cómprame un revólver (México). Directed by Julio Hernández Cordón.
- Alicia (México-Francia). Directed by Michael Rowe.
- Monsters and Men (USA). Directed by Reinaldo M. Green.
2. Labodigital Award. In postproduction services, with a value of $160,000 USD each one:
- The Rosenbergs (USA-Canada-Mexico). Directed Sophie Barthe.
- Nieves (Mexico). Directed by Alejandra Márquez.
- Llueve (Mexico). Directed by Carolina Corral.
- Cómprame un revólver (Mexico). Directed by Julio Hernández Cordón.
3. LCI Award. LCI Seguros delivered an award that covers the entire production insurance, equivalent to $ 10,000 USD:
- Serpiente emplumada (Mexico-Iceland). Directed by Alejandro Sugich.
4. CTT EXP & RENTALS Award. Valued at more than $ 1,256,640.00 MXN in film crew:
- Alicia (Mexico-France). Directed by Michael Rowe.
Gabriel Figueroa Film Fund Winners – Work in Progress
1. Labo Digital Award. In post-production services, with a value of $ 160,000 USD:
- Los adioses (Mexico). Directed by Natalia Beristain.
- Los días más oscuros de nosotras (Mexico). Directed by Astrid Rondero.
2. Labodigital Award. In pos-production services, with a value of $160,000 USD:
- Mics and Celluloid (Mexico). Directed by Carlos Carrera.