‘BATTLE OF THE SEXES’, ‘DOWNSIZING’, ‘MOLLY’S GAME’ AND ‘THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI’, WILL HAVE THEIR MEXICAN AND LATIN AMERICAN PREMIERES DURING LOS CABOS INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Los Cabos International Film Festival strives to create a meticulous curatorship to find films with powerful stories, inspiring characters, and strong performances, especially for the four Galas, which will take place each night during its sixth edition.
The Festival is proud to screen the gripping stories included in its Gala Program, films which have recently premiered at the Venice and Toronto Festivals, which feature powerful elements that make them strong candidates for the awards season.
BATTLE OF THE SEXES
Directors: Jonathan Dayton and ValerieFaris
Cast: Emma Stone, Steve Carell, Sarah Silverman, Bill Pullman, Natalie Morales
In 1973 a match took place between tennis pros Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King. King, a leader in the fight for equality on behalf of female players, was going through the intense experience of discovering her sexuality after an encounter with another woman.
- World Premiere at Telluride Festival, before screening at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
- In 2006 filmmakers Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris directed the multi-award-winning film Little Miss Sunshine, winner, among other prizes, of two Academy Awards.
Director: Alexander Payne
Cast: Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz, Hong Chau, Kristen Wiig
Paul Safranek decides to shrink his body with the hope of having a better life and becoming a millionaire. But the result is not the one Paul expected. Nevertheless, an illegal immigrant will give new meaning to his life. For better or worse, humanity remains the same, only on a smaller scale.
- World Premiere: Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion nominee.
- Alexander Payne has won two Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Descendants and Sideways. He also received an Academy Awards nomination for Best Director for Nebraska.
Director: Aaron Sorkin
Elenco: Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Michael Cera, Kevin Costner
Hunted down by the law, Molly Bloom (Jessica Chastain), who for over a decade ran a clandestine gambling empire built by herself, must convince a renowned and unshakeable lawyer to represent her and help her regain her dignity.
- World Premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
- Aaron Sorkin, winner of an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Social Network and Moneyball, and three time Golden Globe winner for Best Screenplay, for The Social Network, Moneyball and Steve Jobs, film which had its Mexican Premiere during the 2015 Los Cabos International Film Festival.
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
Director: Martin McDonagh
Cast: Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Abbie Cornish
Mildred Hayes leases three billboards to scorn the passivity of the sheriff in charge of finding her daughter’s killer. But in a rural, misogynist, and backward region of the U.S. the killer could be anyone.
- World premiere at Venice Film Festival, where it received the Osella de Oro for Best Screenplay and a Golden Lion nomination.
- Winner of the People’s Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
- Martin McDonagh, won an Oscar for best short film for Six Shooter. He received a Best Original Screenplay Academy Award nomination for his film In Bruges.
- Starring Frances McDormand, winner of an Oscar for Fargo.
Attendees to Los Cabos International Film Festival will enjoy a selection of this year’s most outstanding films.
If you were looking for a reason to visit Los Cabos, Mexico’s best and top destination, where the sea and desert paint an exceptional landscape, the programming of the Festival’s sixth edition offers you the unique opportunity to enjoy an attractive film menu framed by this heavenly destination.
Come see what the neighbors are doing!