RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Los Cabos International Film Festival has two competitive sections: Competencia Los Cabos (productions or co-productions with Mexico, United States or Canada) and México Primero (productions or co-productions with Mexico).
- Feature-length works (60 minutes or more of running time) with a 2019 production date, which have not been submitted to the Festival in previous years, can participate.
- No film in which a Festival employee held a key role in production can participate in any of the competitive sections.
- Acceptable submission formats are: encrypted Digital Cinema Package (DCP) along with the corresponding KDM, with 5.1 sound or stereo mix (in case 5.1 mix is not an option). Unencrypted DCP’s will only be accepted if the producer or film’s representative signs a waiver releasing the Festival from all liability.
- Submissions that do not comply with the aforementioned requirements will be automatically disqualified.
- Juries conformed of recognized members of the global film industry will choose the winners of the competitions. The juries have the authority to bestow Honorable Mentions, which do not imply a cash prize.
- Cash prizes will not be divided or shared.
- Winning films must include the logo or award image of Los Cabos International Film Festival in the credits and promotional materials, in all its future exhibitions after the day of the award.
- The submission and consequent participation of films in Los Cabos International Film Festival imply the acceptance of the rules listed in the open call and current regulations (links can be found at the end of the document).
Registration of projects will be open from June 3rd at 9:00 hours to August 27th, 2019 at 18:00 hours.
For each film submitted, applicants must:
- Complete the online registration form. The information provided will be used for the Festival catalogue in the event the work is selected.
- Participants should submit preselection materials electronically, through private streaming links (Vimeo, Cinando, Festival Scope, etc.) provided in the appropriate space in the online registration form. Materials in physical format (DVDs, Blu-rays, etc.) will not be accepted.
III. Selected Entries
- The list of selected entries will be published on the Festival’s official website on October 8th, 2019. This date will also be the deadline for official letters of invitation to be sent to the listed representatives of all selected entries, so that their film may be included in the Festival’s programming.
- Once selected, the entry cannot be withdrawn from the Festival’s programming.
- The Festival’s Programming Team will confirm that the catalogue information, previously provided in the online registration form, is correct and complete. If this would not be the case, additional materials will be requested to the producer/representative of the film, which should be delivered within the next three working days. The wording and content of the catalogue will be approved and edited, where deemed appropriate, by the Festival’s Programming Team.
- The representative of each selected entry must commit to authorize the showing of the film between November 13th – 17th, 2019, during Los Cabos International Film Festival in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico.
- Having made the official selection public, the Los Cabos International Film Festival Guest Department will contact listed representatives for each selected entry and extend invitations to the film’s director and producer to attend the Festival. Itineraries will be shared once screening schedules have been defined and agreed upon by both parties. It is the guests’ responsibility to cover any expenses associated with changes in itineraries.
- In order to participate in the Festival, the directors and/or producers of the selected films must commit to delivering the following materials by October 15th, 2019:
▪ Projection copy of the film, subtitled in English or Spanish, where appropriate. Full understanding of the film in English and Spanish should be guaranteed. Accepted digital formats are: encrypted Digital Cinema Package (DCP) along with the corresponding KDM, with 5.1 sound or stereo mix (in case 5.1 mix is not an option). Unencrypted DCP’s will only be accepted if the producer or film’s representative signs a waiver releasing the Festival from all liability.
▪ A projection Blu-Ray disc for back-up.
▪ Film trailer in HD video format for promotional purposes. In case of not having a film trailer is not available, a one minute fragment of the film in HD video will suffice.
▪ Private streaming link for internal use, with password access valid until November 17th, 2018.
▪ Time-coded original language and/or English dialogue lists.
▪ Crib sheet with film’s tech specs provided at the time of being selected.
▪ 2 official posters, size 70×100 cm.
- The Festival reserves the right to use up to one-minute segments of the selected entries for promotional use, including, but not limited to, television or Internet broadcasting.
There will be no extensions on the deadlines. No exceptions.
IV. Awarded Films
- An International jury will judge and select winners, and its decision will not be subject to appeal.
- Cash prizes will be disbursed only once a receipt from the payee is produced. The transaction will be governed by current Federal and State tax laws.
- The amount in cash prizes awarded by the Los Cabos International Film Festival are VAT included.
V. Delivery and Return of Submission Material
1. With regards to entries that have been selected for competition, the Festival will assume responsibility for either delivery or return shipping expenses of projection copies, having reached a prior agreement with the film’s representatives.
2. The Festival will assume responsibility for the insurance on the projection copies from the time they arrive at Festival offices until they are returned.
3. All projection copies should be sent to the address included in the invitation letter emitted to the film representatives after selection.
4. If using a courier service, please specify “For projection in film festival, with no commercial value, for cultural purposes only”.
5. The Festival will assume liability for damage or loss of submission material incurred only during shipments (delivery or return) that the Festival has expressly taken responsibility for, having reached a prior agreement with the film’s representatives.
June 3rd, 2019, Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico.