RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Los Cabos International Film Festival has two competitive sections: Competencia Los Cabos and México Primero.
2. Feature-length works with a 2018 production date that have not been submitted to the Festival in previous years can participate.
3. No film in which a Festival employee held a key role in production can participate in any of the competitive sections.
4. Acceptable submission formats are: encrypted Digital Cinema Package (DCP) along with the corresponding KDM, with 5.1 sound or stereo mix (in case 5.1 mix is not an option). Unencrypted DCP’s will only be accepted if the producer or film’s representative signs a waiver releasing the Festival from all liability.
5. Submissions that do not comply with the aforementioned requirements will be automatically disqualified.
6. The jury has the authority to bestow Honorable Mentions, which do not imply a cash prize.
7. Cash prizes will not be divided or shared.
8. The submission and consequent participation of films in the Los Cabos International Film Festival imply the acceptance of the rules listed in the open call and current regulations (links can be found at the end of the document).
Registration of projects will be open from May 14th to August 28th, 2018 at 18:00 hours.
For each film submitted, applicants must:
1. Complete the online registration form. The information provided will be used for the Festival catalogue in the event the work is selected.
2. Participants may submit preselection materials electronically, through private streaming links (Vimeo, Cinando, Festival Scope, etc.) provided in the appropriate space in the online registration form. Alternately, they can deliver or mail submission materials to the Festival offices. The package must include 2 DVD or Blu-Ray copies, clearly marked with the film’s title, director’s name, duration and year of production, contact email address, and a printed copy of the registration receipt (which will be emailed to the listed address once registration has been successfully completed).
Submissions being mailed should be addressed as follows:
Festival Internacional de Cine de Los Cabos
General Salvador Alvarado 96-5
11800, Colonia Escandón, Delegación Miguel Hidalgo
+5255 6585 1061 y 65
3. The Festival will consider the date of submission for entries sent via courier services or regular mail that which is printed on the receipt or postal stamp on the parcel.
4. The Festival is not responsible for any damage or loss of materials incurred during shipping.
5. Copies of DVD’s or Blu-Ray’s cannot be returned to the senders. The Festival assumes responsibility for the permanent disposal of these materials once the selection process has been completed.
III. Selected Entries
1. The list of selected entries will be published on the Festival’s official website on October 4th, 2018, and official letters of invitation will be sent to the listed representatives of all selected entries, so that the work may be included in the Festival’s programming.
2. Once selected, the entry cannot be taken out of the Festival’s programming.
3. The Festival’s Programming Team will confirm that the catalogue information, previously provided in the online registration form, is correct and complete. The wording and content of the catalogue will be approved and edited, where deemed appropriate, by the Festival’s Programming Team.
4. The representative of each selected entry must commit to showing the film between November 7th – 11th, 2018, during the Los Cabos International Film Festival in Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico.
5. Having made the official selection public, the Los Cabos International Film Festival Guest Department will contact listed representatives for each selected entry and extend invitations to the film’s director and producer to attend the Festival. Itineraries will be shared once screening schedules have been defined and agreed upon by both parties. It is the guests’ responsibility to cover any expenses associated with changes in itineraries.
6. In order to participate in the Festival, the directors and/or producers of the selected films must commit to delivering the following materials by October 12th, 2018:
▪ Projection copy of the film, subtitled in English or Spanish, where appropriate. Accepted digital formats are: encrypted Digital Cinema Package (DCP) along with the corresponding KDM, with 5.1 sound or stereo mix (in case 5.1 mix is not an option).
▪ A projection Blu-Ray disc for back-up.
▪ Film trailer in HD video format for promotional purposes.
▪ Private streaming link for internal use, with password access valid until November 11th, 2018.
▪ Time-coded original language or English dialogue lists.
▪ Crib sheet with film’s tech specs.
There will be no extensions on the deadlines. No exceptions.
7. The Festival reserves the right to use up to one-minute segments of the selected entries for promotional use, including, but not limited to, television or Internet broadcasting.
IV. Awarded Films
1. An International jury will judge and select winners, and its decision will not be subject to appeal.
2. Cash prizes will be disbursed only once a receipt from the payee is produced. The transaction will be governed by current Federal and State tax laws.
V. Delivery and Return of Submission Material
1. With regards to entries that have been selected for competition, the Festival will assume responsibility for either delivery or return shipping expenses of projection copies, having reached a prior agreement with the film’s representatives.
2. The Festival will assume responsibility for the insurance on the projection copies from the time they arrive at Festival offices until they are returned.
3. All projection copies should be sent to the address included in the invitation letter emitted to the film representatives after selection.
4. If using a courier service, please specify “For projection in film festival, with no commercial value, for cultural purposes only”.
5. The Festival will assume liability for damage or loss of submission material incurred only during shipments (delivery or return) that the Festival has expressly taken responsibility for, having reached a prior agreement with the film’s representatives.
May 14th, 2018, Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, Mexico.