(Romania / Canada – Québec / Germany / Sweden, 2018)
- Director: Ioana Uricaru
- Production Companies: Mobra Films, Peripheria Productions, 42film
- Producers: Eike Goreczka, Christoph Kukula, Yanick Létourneau, Cristian Mungiu, Sean Wheelan
- Screenplay: Ioana Uricaru, Tatiana Ionascu
- Cinematography: Friede Clausz
- Editing: Mircea Olteanu
- Sound: Kai Tebbel
- Music: Olivier Alary
- Cast: Mălina Manovici, Dylan Scott Smith, Steve Bacic, Milan Hurduc, Ruxandra Maniu, Dylan Scott Smith
Mara (Mălina Manovici), a young Romanian immigrant, is married to Daniel (Dylan Smith), an American man, who after suffering an accident at work, is dependent on her. At the same time that Mara welcomes her son Dragos (Milan Hurduc) to the United States and helps him settle into his new life, she struggles to change her immigration status to become a legal resident. The abuse of power from an immigration officer (Steve Basic) – who is suspicious of her marriage to an American man- puts Mara and Daniel’s relationship on the line, and jeopardizes her and her son’s stay in the country.
Director Ioana Uricaru’s natural and understated approach brutally exposes both Mara’s vulnerability as she faces a discriminatory and bureaucratic system, and the prejudices against immigration, that rules some segments of the American society. The influence of the renowned Hungarian filmmaker Cristian Mungiu as producer of the film is inevitable. Nonetheless, the strong voice and original work of newcomer Uricaru can be thoroughly appreciated.
THURSDAY 8th NOV
CINEMEX PLATINO SALA 4 / 18:00-19:36
SATURDAY 10th NOV
CINEMEX SALA 2 / 12:00-13:36 – SCREENING WITH Q&A SESSION